Moving to a new apartment can be a daunting task, but with a well-organized checklist, you can stay on top of everything and make the process smoother. Here’s a comprehensive apartment moving checklist to help you plan your move:
8 Weeks Before the Move:
- Create a Moving Binder: Start a dedicated folder or binder to keep all important documents, receipts, and notes related to your move.
- Budget Planning: Estimate your moving expenses and create a budget to ensure you stay on track financially.
- Select a Moving Date: Determine your moving date and book your movers or rental truck if necessary.
- Declutter: Begin going through your belongings and decide what to keep, donate, or discard. Start with items you rarely use.
6 Weeks Before the Move:
- Notify Landlord: If you’re renting, inform your current landlord about your move-out date and discuss any required procedures.
- Collect Packing Supplies: Start gathering moving boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and other packing materials. Consider using eco-friendly options like reusable bins.
- Change of Address: Submit a change of address request to the postal service, and notify important parties (banks, utilities, subscriptions) of your upcoming move.
- Research Movers: If you’re using a moving company such Caseys Movers, obtain quotes and book their services. Make sure to read reviews and check their insurance.
4 Weeks Before the Move:
- Packing Strategy: Create a packing plan, focusing on one room at a time. Label boxes with the contents and the room they belong to.
- Utility Transfers: Schedule the transfer of utilities (electricity, gas, water, internet, etc.) to your new address and disconnect them at your current place.
- Medical Records: Arrange for the transfer of medical records if necessary, and refill any prescriptions.
- School Records: If you have children, notify their school about the move and arrange for the transfer of school records.
2 Weeks Before the Move:
- Finalize Packing: Continue packing non-essential items and start packing up your kitchen and bedroom.
- Notify Important Parties: Update your new address with the DMV, your employer, banks, and any other relevant institutions.
- Confirm Moving Details: Reconfirm the moving date and details with your chosen moving company or truck rental service.
1 Week Before the Move:
- Essentials Box: Pack an essentials box with items you’ll need immediately upon arrival at your new apartment (toiletries, clothing, important documents).
- Apartment Cleaning: Clean your current apartment, including floors, appliances, and fixtures. Take pictures for your records.
- Disassemble Furniture: Disassemble any large furniture that won’t fit through doorways in its current form.
- Prepare for the First Night: Pack bedding and essential kitchen items for your first night in the new apartment.
- Final Walkthrough: Before you leave your old apartment, do a final walkthrough to ensure nothing is left behind.
- Label Valuables: Keep valuable items with you or pack them separately to prevent loss.
- Meet the Movers: If you’re using a moving company, be present to oversee the loading and unloading of your belongings.
- Moving Hacks: Don’t forget to check out our Instagram for moving hacks like the one below to maximize your time on moving day:
After the Move:
- Unpack Essentials Box: Start with the essentials box and gradually unpack room by room.
- Update Local Information: Update your address with the local DMV, register to vote, and find new local services you may need (grocery stores, doctors, etc.).
- Explore Your New Neighborhood: Get to know your new surroundings and introduce yourself to your neighbors.
- Dispose of Packing Materials: Recycle or dispose of packing materials properly.
- Settle In: Take your time settling into your new apartment and enjoy making it your own.
Moving can be stressful, but with a well-organized checklist and a clear plan, you can minimize the challenges and make your apartment move a success. These essential tips will help you have a successful apartment move with minimal stress.